Tuesday, July 17, 2012

NO SWEAT HOMEMADE JAM

If you're like me, you don't have time to spend all morning in the kitchen whipping up something good to eat, but you still like to create a delight once in a while. This journal was created for busy people who like to learn new stuff, whether it's wandering the woods, researching for a book or story or finding shortcuts to keep wifely duties to a minimum.

If you make jams and jellies, you're gonna like this. Today's crops of berries and peaches are probably mostly in the freezer or canned by now, but I just had to share this wonderful product. No, I am not being paid for this information. Check out instant pectin. This saves lots of time and effort and makes a quick and delicious strawberry or peach jam in just a few minutes.

Standing over a pot of boiling berries is no fun on a hot summer day. I tried this out after reading a recipe in our local paper calling for this pectin. I got online and ordered a batch of it and within minutes of thawing some frozen berries (not sugared) had me a batch of freezer jam. The only work involved was mashing the berries and then stirring them into the sugar (I used Splenda) and pectin that I had mixed up. Watching the clock, I stirred for three minutes (not going near a hot stove) put the jam into some plastic containers, let them set on the table for 20 minutes then put them in the fridge.

Delicious, easy, and no sweat. A hint. I increased the ingredients on the label to 4 cups of berries, 1-1/2 cups Splenda or sugar, 4 T instant pectin. I used three the first time and found it a bit thin. You'll get about three pints of jam from this, but it's so easy and tastes so fresh compared to jams that are cooked for several minutes. You can also make fresh peach jam or from frozen peaches.

Let me know how your jam turns out.


2 comments:

Kris said...

Hi Velda,
I nominated your blog for the Liebster Blog Award, an award for new blogs with fewer than 200 followers. Please check it out here:

http://www.kristenelisephd.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-leibster-blog-award-bit-of-comic.html

Cheers,
Kris
Murder Lab

Kris said...

Hi Velda,
I nominated your blog for the Liebster Blog Award, an award for new blogs with fewer than 200 followers. Please check it out here:

http://www.kristenelisephd.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-leibster-blog-award-bit-of-comic.html

Cheers,
Kris
Murder Lab